Admissions for undergraduate music students
Join 750 highly talented musicians from around the world who are enrolled annually in the ASU School of Music, Dance and Theatre.
English proficiency for international students
Success at ASU begins with a strong comprehension of the English language. Because our rigorous courses are taught in English and move at a fast pace, fluency in the language is necessary for understanding concepts and expressing yourself effectively.
If you are from a country where the native language is not English (regardless of where you now reside), you must provide proof of English proficiency before your music application will be processed and before you may schedule an audition. The ASU School of Music, Dance and Theatre does not offer conditional admission for music majors under any circumstances.
In order to schedule a live audition on campus, you must submit proof of English proficiency by the following dates:
- November 1 for spring admission
- January 15 for fall admission
You may submit a recorded audition if you are unable to provide proof of English proficiency by the dates above.
English language proficiency requirement
The English proficiency requirement may be fulfilled by submitting official score reports for one of the following.
- TOEFL score of at least 61 (iBT).
- IELTS overall band score of at least 6.0
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) score of at least 53
Please have your TOEFL or IELTS official score reports sent directly to ASU Admission Services. An IELTS, PTE or TOEFL must have been taken no longer than two years prior to the student's start date at ASU.
The official TOEFL score report can be sent directly to ASU from the Educational Testing Service. ASU's TOEFL institutional code is 4007.
Student Services Building
1151 S Forest Ave
Tempe, AZ 85287-0112
Mail Code: 0112
You may qualify for an exemption from this requirement by one of the following.
- U.S. Citizen or U.S. permanent resident of an English-speaking country or territory
- You have completed your junior and senior years in a U.S. high school AND ACT English score of 23 or higher or SAT EBRW score of 580 or higher.
- You have completed a minimum of 48 transferable semester credits including six credits of freshman English composition at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a cumulative GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher.
- You hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
- You have completed four years of high school in a U.S. high school with four years of English. These applicants are subject to high school competency requirements.
- You have successfully completed the the highest level of the ASU Global Launch Intensive English Program with graduates of B or better.
Complete the ASU Global Launch Course
- Intensive English program at ASU. You have completed the Advanced Level 2 with a passing score. Learn more about IEP.
- You have completed the online English course for Undergradate Admission with a passing score. Learn more about the Online English course.
More information about English Profiency can be found on the ASU Admissions website here.