Excellent student ensembles, facilities and a world-class program of study make studying brass at ASU one of the best educational bargains in the nation.
A degree in Brass
The ASU Brass Studio is an inclusive community of talented, vibrant, creative and self-motivated students who continually inspire, encourage, uplift and challenge each other in a supportive and welcoming atmosphere. We are dedicated to providing you the richest and most diverse possible experience while preparing you for your professional goals.
A world-class program of study, amazing student ensembles, superb facilities, our strong record of job placement and our affordable tuition make studying brass at ASU one of the best educational bargains in the nation. Our graduates hold important positions as teachers and performers around the world in major orchestras, universities, military ensembles, public and private schools, and as soloists.
ASU prepares students for the demands and reality of today’s music world in a multitude of flexible and creative degree paths. Our faculty are world-class performers, educators, and scholars. As modern, thriving professional musicians in all fields, we have integrated our 21st Century skillsets into traditional core musical skills, including a brand-new Certificate in Music Entrepreneurship.
Our internationally recognized brass faculty include:
John Ericson, horn
- Formerly of the Nashville Symphony
- Founder of “Horn Matters”, the world’s leading horn-related website
- Winner of the International Horn Society Harold Meek Memorial and Punto Awards
- Horn Studio
Deanna Swoboda, tuba/euphonium
- International Soloist and Clinician; Eastman Music Company International Artist
- Formerly of Dallas Brass
- Past President International Tuba Euphonium Association
- Tuba-Euphonium Studio
Brad Edwards, trombone
- Former member and soloist of the US Air Force Band
- Internationally recognized pedagogical author
- Greenhoe International Artist
- Trombone Studio
Josef Burgstaller, trumpet
- International Soloist and Clinician; Yamaha International Artist
- Formerly of Canadian Brass (trumpet and arranger)
- Founder of “Change Your Mind, Change Your Playing” peak performance courses
- Trumpet Studio