Dance Teaching Artist Praxis (Graduate Certificate)

Home / Degree Programs / Dance Teaching Artist Praxis (Graduate Certificate)

The graduate certificate in dance teaching artist praxis prepares students to enter the dance field as professional teaching artists and educators.

The program equips students with the knowledge, skills and credentials to work as dance teaching artists, pedagogical theorists and researchers, higher-education dance professors and teacher preparation experts, preK-12 dance educators and community dance teachers.

Students completing the dance teaching artist praxis certificate will fulfill central coursework requirements necessary to obtain a Provisional Arts Education, preK-12 certificate in dance from the Arizona Department of Education. They also will gain the qualifications and credentials required to develop and teach university teacher preparation courses and training programs and develop the skills and perspectives necessary to effectively work as a teaching artist in diverse sociocultural and learning contexts.

At A Glance

Dance Teaching Artist Praxis (Graduate Certificate)

Plan of study

The Plan of study is the required curriculum to complete the program.

View Plan of Study

Admission requirements

Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.

Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a minimum of a master's degree in dance or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university, or have successfully completed their first semester of the Arizona State University MFA degree program in dance.

Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the applicable master's degree program or in the ASU Master of Fine Arts program in dance at the time of their application submission.

All applicants must submit:

  1. graduate admission application and application fee
  2. official transcripts
  3. letters of recommendation
  4. proof of English proficiency

Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency regardless of current residency.

International students who need an F1 or J1 visa first need to apply to and be accepted into a graduate degree program prior to being considered for the certificate program. International students residing in the United States on other types of visas must adhere to all Graduate College policies and procedures regarding admission to be considered for admission to this certificate program.