Sign In / Sign Out
Navigation for Entire University
- ASU Home
- My ASU
- Colleges and Schools
- Map and Locations
When you apply to Arizona State University, you will be asked to indicate your intended major. Please select dance or dance education.
Applications for spring 2021 admission are due October, 31. Applications for fall 2021 admission are due January, 30
** You must complete Step 1 and submit the ASU undergraduate admissions application before you begin the dance application. You do not need to be admitted through ASU Undergraduate Admissions prior to submission. Full admittance to ASU is required before an applicant is eligible to enroll as a BFA Dance Major. **
Our next interviews and auditions for spring 2021 admission will be held virtually on Saturday, November 7, 2020. Interviews and auditions for fall 2021 are scheduled for Saturday, February 6, 2021 (all auditions will be virtual). Contact email@example.com for assistance or further questions.Prepare the following materials for submission in your dance application:
- Essay: Complete a 250-word essay answering the question below. The essay should be written in a word processing program that allows you to grammar and spell check your work and should be uploaded into your dance application as a PDF document.
- First-time dance applicants: The dance program revolves around the notion of fostering and nurturing creativity. This central principle informs all areas of practice and is supported by a core set of values - humanity, leadership, reflection, and context. Describe why these core values are important to dance and how you hope to develop as a student at ASU.
- Re-interviewing applicants: Describe what you have done to develop yourself and your movement/creative practice since your last interview (identify workshops attended, ASU classes, master classes, key experiences etc.) and address the core values of the program as detailed above.
- Resume: provide any training and related experience such as: genres/types of dance, number of years, names of schools, studios, workshops, master classes, intensives, etc. Also include theory courses, choreography, and production experience, such as costume, lighting, sound, technology, etc.
- Letters of recommendation: provide contact information for 2 references. At least two letters of recommendation (1 technique, 1 academic) from an instructor or someone with whom you have had professional and/or artistic interaction. Do not submit letters from relatives or close friends. Letters of recommendation must be written on official school or company letterhead.
- Recorded Dance Solo: submit a YouTube or Vimeo link of a dance solo. The link should be submitted directly in your application.
- Interview day risk release form: you (and parent/guardian, if under 18) must complete and sign the ASU Release, Indemnity and Assumption of Risk form via the DocuSign links in the dance application. NOTE: For in-person auditions only. Not required for virtual.
3. Attend the Virtual Interview and Dance Audition Day
Interviews and auditions for 2021 admission will be held virtually.
- Saturday, November 7, 2020 (spring 2021 or fall 2021 admission).
- Saturday, February 6, 2021 (fall 2021 admission).
- Attend the Movement and Creative Practices class: The creative practices class may include improvisation, choreographic prompts, collaborative work, and discussion. There is no need to prepare anything for the class; interviewees should come prepared ready to engage in class. There is no dress code for the creative practices class or any other part of the interview day.
- Presentation of solo: The solo should demonstrate the interviewee’s current interests in dance and be no more than three minutes in duration. If using music, please bring music on a phone with an appropriate audio adapter (if needed), for in-person only auditions.
- Completion and presentation of a creative task: The creative task is a prompt that will be given to interviewees at the start of the day. Interviewees will be asked to make something in response to the prompt to share, and there’s no right or wrong way to approach this. Applicants may work alone, with a partner, or in groups, with or without accompaniment, and in any form they wish.
- Interview with a faculty member: The interview is about 10-15 minutes in duration and is best approached as a conversation. This is an opportunity for the dance faculty to learn more about interviewee’s individual interests, goals, and questions.
A separate application is required if you wish to be considered for a scholarship. Scholarships are available to students admitted to Arizona State University. Access the dance scholarship application portal here: School of Music, Dance and Theatre.
Deadline is February 7, 2021 for fall 2021 admission. A recommendation letter is required and you should allow time for your recommender to respond to the email invite. Note: this is a separate recommendation letter from the ones submitted in the ASU Dance application.
For questions related to the scholarship application, email Cindy Noldy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Decision letters will be sent to your email listed on your dance application. Letters for spring admission (January start) will be sent in mid-November. Letters for fall admission (August start) will be sent in mid-March.